Thursday, August 7, 2008

the inspiration of quiet 2

Could absolutely not fall asleep last night, wide awake for several hours. Though not like the solitude that folks experience in, say, the Alaska wilderness, for me it is certainly significant alone time. And I have a lot of it. What I noticed last night, after several hours of indulging in kakuro, is that it has been my habit during this sort of time to distract myself from the aloneness. I am hiding from the aloneness. Upon reflection, I think being alone is a significant factor in creativity. What happens when I am willing to be with the aloneness and everything that fills it with no effort and listen to it and cry out of sadness or be truly joyful and grateful for the miracle of being alive? When I have done so, I have been able to create music and verse. And it has been satisfying to do so.

So the challenge is to spend such time tapping into the wealth of inspiration that lies beneath, wanting to be released, waiting for a voice. That kakuro has become a bit of an addiction. Fortunately, I’m just about finished with the white belt book. I won’t go looking for the green belt book just yet. I have some creating to do.

No comments: